Facilitation services: Customized and template-grounded group process facilitation for:
- Meetings or Events: Network, Organizational or Annual General Meetings;
- Community Engagement sessions & Community Based Research: Community Consultations; Community Development or service development planning; Committee or Network planning or evaluation sessions,
- Focus Groups: Key Informants provide insights and contribution toward planning or evaluation.
- Organizational Development initiatives: helping small to mid-sized organizations achieve their mandate by facilitating opportunities for them to think, review their strengths and opportunities and build capacity. Participative and collaborative processes are designed that respect cultural diversity and anti-oppression values.
Facilitation includes co-designing agendas, exercises and processes to match your desired outcomes. Facilitation may be coupled with Graphic Recording or Graphic Facilitation, as appropriate.
Graphically recording is large-scale scribing while listening — synthesizing and mapping information generated in group settings using text, images and colour. Groups watch as themes and patterns emerge from the drawings themselves. These sessions may be for organizational or community visioning, key-note addresses, conferences, educational events, etc. When the event is over, the images are either photographed or scanned, cleaned up in Photoshop, then provided for your use online, in videos, brochures, screen savers, for social media, e-mailed out or hung on display to serve as a reminder or motivation.
Graphic Recording is great for:
- Reducing redundancy and keeping the conversation focused
- Encouraging people to be involved in the discussion and opening minds to be ready to brainstorm
- Documenting people’s valuable points of view and catching up any late comers
- Seeing the parts and the whole simultaneously
- Mirroring the content and the group process of how ideas take shape, so that good ideas are not lost
- Identifying key points and themes, then summarizing in real time by weaving together diverse perspectives into composite “picture” that reflects the collective intelligence in the room
Graphic Facilitation joins the benefits of recording with the benefits of an impartial facilitator concerned with group process and keeping people on track. It illuminates connections, encourages contribution, learning and innovation by participants in a meaningful, collaborative way. It helps participants visualize problems and see solutions. Groups create visual maps and can address complex issues or planning.
Tanya does both Graphic Recording and Graphic Facilitation. She is a member of the International Forum of Visual Practitioners and was originally trained at McGill University by Jack Pearpoint on these techniques in 1993. Tanya either custom designs templates or utilizes tested templates to help frame this work.
Examples of processes in which we have lead with Graphic Recording and/or Graphic Facilitation:
- strategic planning trainings
- new and complex topics workshops
- idea generation focus groups
- brainstorming mediation
- analysis evaluation
- service mapping patient journeys
- Custom designed process that matches the organization’s scope and resources… we can work within your budget!
- Perform Functions of the process including but not limited to: coaching Chair of Planning Committee; internal and external environmental scans; identification/confirmation of core values and mission statement; trend discoveries; literature reviews; opportunity scans; full stakeholder engagement for input (retreats, focus groups, on-line & paper surveys etc.); visioning and prioritizing strategic directions, goals and milestones.
- Implementation Support support the creation of a corresponding Operational Plan including desired milestones.
Team Building: Customized team engagement processes, commonly achieved through reflection on what works/doesn’t, re-establishing common values and co-developing strong practices to help operationalize the team’s commitments. In addition to group process facilitation, this may also involve some interpersonal mediation and management coaching or communications and/or anti-oppression training.
Policy Development: Draft policy in conjunction with a committee following a review of existing documents and investigation of desired outcomes while ensuring the policy meets legislative compliance.
In-House Training in the areas of: Time Management; Team and Leadership development; Effective Communication; Program, Department or organizational visioning; Operational planning; Custom design is available per your documents or processes.
Program and Operational Evaluations: Perform program and operational evaluations which may include the creation or revision of Logic Models. Data collection methods may include: focus groups; key-informant interviews; web-based or paper surveys. Evaluations usually involve input from current, past and prospective service users, partners, funders, staff, equivalent or similar service providers. Data is analyzed and interpreted based on the type of analysis required and strengths, challenges, opportunities and recommendations are designed to fit the scope and resources, while matching the intention of the evaluation (ie. Measuring impact of services etc.).
- Stabilize organization by the provision of management support when there is a vacancy in a management position (either Exec. Director, Director or Program Manager level) to ensure operations continue seamlessly and relations are maintained or restored with the Board of Directors, staff members, service users, funders or other stakeholders; Ensure existing contracts are upheld or organizational integrity is restored or intact.
- Improving Services or Internal Systems first by reviewing existing systems and workflow, eliciting input, clarifying desired outcomes, generating ‘best practice’ recommendations (ie. HR practices, operational functions etc.) and/or new system creation (ie. forms, processes, workflow etc.)
- Supporting Financial Stability by maintaining or re-stabilizing lapsed reporting or funder relationship(s); review and fulfillment of By-Law and CRA obligations; audits etc.
- Board Support with professional liaison and communication with existing Board Members; assistance in the recruitment of new members; clarifying governance model and training; coaching on Director’s best practices.
- Recruitment support for employees, which could include: drafting job description(s); organizational chart; posting; creation and or implementation of screening measures; interviewing; selection process support; creation of training documents and timelines.